DPlot 2.3.5.7 File > Close closes wrong plot ?

Found a bug? Tell us about it here
Schwer

DPlot 2.3.5.7 File > Close closes wrong plot ?

Post by Schwer »

Hello David --

This could be something odd with my Windows 7 64 Bit machine. I recently noticed if I have two plots open in the same DPlot window, i.e. open DPlot-1 and then from Windows Explorer double click to launch DPlot-2, if I use File>Close on DPlot-2 -- DPlot-2 remains visible but DPlot-1 is gone. Although, if I look under the "Window" menu DPlot-1 is listed and check marked?

This problem goes away if I use File>Open to open both DPlot-1 and DPlot-2.

Please advise, --len
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

I have not been able to duplicate this problem, but will look into it.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
Schwer

Post by Schwer »

Thanks David.

If I use the File>Open menu for all DPlot files, then there is no problem, but if I double click on an existing DPlot, or use the File > recently opened DPlot files, then the odd behavior I described occurs.

Let me know if you want me to do some testing. --len
James Gran

Post by James Gran »

I don't get the result you describe. A related issue I've had is when I have several Dplots open and when I move from one to another or close one, the wrong plot is displayed. I surmised that it was a memory problem because it only happened when I had multiple large plots open. My fix was to create a Macro called Redraw
ViewRedraw() and assign Ctrl-Shift-R to it. So when it happened I just redrew and the correct plot would display.
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

That's a remarkable workaround you came up with. Thanks for sharing.

What should happen in a low memory situation is when the plots are redrawn, they are drawn directly to the screen rather than to a bitmap (which is then sent to the screen). The problem with drawing directly to the screen is the plot must be redrawn if it is covered/uncovered, or if DPlot is minimized/restored. But it sounds like that isn't working in your case.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
jsc

Post by jsc »

I think I have had similar situations, Win7x64, even w 8gb memory, and several large plots open. I would try to save carefully, and if I "got lost" because I wasn't sure what plot that I was dealing with, I would close everything and just start over. I never was so clever as to try to redraw the screen. But I have definitely noticed the issue.
Schwer

Post by Schwer »

David --

I am not sure this bug is related to memory limitations.

Will there be a forth coming fix, or do we need to implement the Jim Gran work around? --len
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

Since I've been unable to duplicate the problem, it isn't possible to predict when it will be fixed. But I'll keep trying.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com