DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Embedded DPlot Graph

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwarrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Embedded DPlot Graph Reply with quote

Hopefully this has not been asked before but if it has please point me to the correct string.

Is it possible to embed a DPlot Graph inside of an excel work book and make it automatically update when the data changes in the cells?
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but unfortunately that two-way link will only work during the current DPlot/Excel session. Once you close either one, the relationship will be gone.

Copy the data you want to plot in Excel. Switch to DPlot. Use Edit>Paste Special and check the "Link" box. Click the "Copy Picture" button on the toolbar. Switch back to Excel. Select Edit>Paste Special. Click the "Paste link" option.
jwarrick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thank you very much for the quick response. I think I should have stated the question a little differently.

Is there a way to get around losing the relationship once dplot is closed? Maybe a macro that triggers on the Workbook sheetcalculate event that would:

open dplot up
refreshes the data / graph
saves the file
closes dplot

It seems like it would be possible and hopefully someone else has already created a similar code?
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know nobody has created anything to do what you want.

The two problems I see are storing the source columns/rows, and the location and type of the pasted picture. I can probably work something out with an Add-In option: if checked then store the XLS filename, source reference, and name of the pasted graph in a separate file. I really have no idea whether this can be made to work Smile, but I will look into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Excel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: