DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems installing Excel add-in (v1.9.3.2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgmiles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Problems installing Excel add-in (v1.9.3.2) Reply with quote

David,

I've tried installing DPlot 1.9.3.2 with the Excel add-in several times, but have been unsuccessful each time. I have used the "allow macros" option, but get the error (once the macro is executed):

Quote:
Run-time error '1004':

Unable to get the Add property of the AddIns class.

I'm running Windows Me, MS Office XP Pro 2002 (I've installed only the Excel application) and have installed all MS Excel updates to-date. I've also installed MS Excel to the D: drive and the "My Documents" path set to a location on drive E: (if that makes any difference).

Not sure if I'm still missing something obvious, but any help appreciated.

--John Miles
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
It sounds like I've fouled up in the setup script and you're running the setup workbook for Office 97. I'll look into this right away, in the meantime you can manually install the add-in: Download (Edit: removed. See below). Unzip this file to c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Addins. Substitute your username for <username>. If you don't have an \Addins folder below \Microsoft just create one in Explorer. Next time you run Excel, select Tools>Addins. You should see "DPlot Interface". Check the adjacent box, and you should be all set. Please let me know how this turns out and whether you have any problems.

Edit: The Excel Add-In with the above problem fixed is now distributed with all versions of DPlot Jr and DPlot. Or you can get it here: http://www.dplot.com/excel/addinstall.exe.

Last edited by DPlotAdmin on Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Just to confirm my earlier reply, the setup program you downloaded is fouled up for Windows Me. I've uploaded a corrected version that should work properly. Either my previous advice (downloading the zip) or the updated setup program should install the Add-In properly on Me.

If you've downloaded the zip and have the Add-In loaded now, great. Otherwise... if you've installed everything other than the Add-In, you can use the link to the evaluation version.

Please let me know how this turns out. I apologize for the inconvenience.
oneto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: install problems with Excel plugin Reply with quote

Hello,
I also have several problem with the Excel addin:
[WinXP Pro, Office XP Pro, French versions, using decimal separator '.']
1) at first it refused to install with a "Execution error '9': index doesn't belong to selection"
2) using the addin.zip, I succeded to install manually (not in ...\Addins\ but
in "...\Macros complémentaires\"
3) after that I can access the dPlot menu, but only get errors when I try to select data an do anything... :-{ Crying or Very sad
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! I hadn't considered that the \AddIns folder may not be named "AddIns". Trouble is I'm not sure that this information is readily available in Excel or stored in the registry. Back to the drawing board for the setup program, I guess. Sad

But this:
Quote:
3) after that I can access the dPlot menu, but only get errors when I try to select data an do anything...

I'm puzzled about. What are the error messages you're getting? If it's simply "File not found: DPlotLib", then make sure dplotlib.dll (from the .zip you downloaded) is located in the same folder as dplotlib.xla. If it's some other error message, please let me know what it is.
jgmiles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Window ME Excel add-in install Reply with quote

David,

I went ahead and used the evaluation version to install the Excel add-in and things went without a hitch.

Just a note:

Quote:
Unzip this file to c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Addins. Substitute your username for <username>. If you don't have an \Addins folder below \Microsoft just create one in Explorer.

Since I don't use an individual login (I'm the only user on my computer), the addin.zip files are installed to my C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\ directory in Windows Me.

Again, appreciate your time on this.

--John Miles
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, glad this worked out. Now... to figure out what the rest of the world has against the word "AddIns" Very Happy
oneto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Excel add-in install problems Reply with quote

Hello,
I just visited the registry on my computer, and found the following:
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\General]
"AddIns"="Macros Complémentaires"

Besides that, the errors I had using the addin ("Incompatible datatype") were caused by a data file with floating numbers ofg the form "1.5d-9" instead of "1.5e-9", the former syntax being accepted by dPlot but not by Excel...
Thanks an d have a nice day!
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean-Louis,
Thanks very much for the reply. I found that myself last night but it's good to see that the French version looks in the same place and calls everything else the same. I should have this fixed soon.

It would probably be a fairly simple thing to write a short VBA routine to translate the text (number)D+/-(number) to a number that Excel understands. I'll see what I can whip up when I catch my breath.
oneto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Excel scientific format (was: Excel addin install pb) Reply with quote

Hello David,
As far as I'm concerned, do not bother trying to fix this problem in Excel, my data files are generated by a XBasic program I wrote, and this is a bug in the compiler, since it uses "e" notation for single precision and "d" for double precision, but understand only "e" as input... Evil or Very Mad
I've already programmed a workaround in a very similar program, I just forgot to put it again there Rolling Eyes
Let me know if a (more) complete list of localized paths on a French system could help you.
Have a nice day
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the input from both of you. As far as I can tell the setup program now behaves correctly on all Windows versions. I don't happen to have a French version of Excel handy Very Happy , but I'm reasonably sure it will work on there as well. If anyone else has had a problem with installing the add-in, I've uploaded a small (95Kb) utility here: http://www.dplot.com/excel/addinstall.exe that installs and (if you enable macros) loads the Add-In. This has been tested with Excel 97 on Win95, Office 2000 on Windows 2000, and Office XP on XP.

John - from your first adventure with this you likely have an extra dplotlib.dll and dplotlib.xla in the \Library folder below excel.exe. Those can be deleted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: