DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polar Plot Mode: Some Features to Refine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raydela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Polar Plot Mode: Some Features to Refine Reply with quote

David,

I've got a couple of suggestions to improve working with Polar Plots:

Idea Point Labels:
Currently, only the magnitude value can be shown. It would be nice to have the magnitude/angle pair (angle in the selected radian or degree units) shown WITH the ability to add some small amount of text (but definitely, show the mag/angle pair values).

Idea Extents/Tick Marks/Size Dialog:
Arrow Allow specifying both Major (marked with values) and Minor grid divisions. I currently have "12" divisions, which gives a nice 0, 30, 60, 90 degree Major grids, but I always have (4) minor grids (7.5 degree divisions in this case). I would like to be able to specify (3) minor grids (10 degree divisions) or some other Major/Minor grid combo.
Arrow When in Polar Plot Mode, switch the X, Y terminology to Angle, Radius (or Magnitude) on this (and other applicable) dialogs. Also have any entry fields or representations for angle (X) use the current radian/degrees setting.
For instance, on this dialog, if I choose "Specify Interval", even though I am set to use degrees, I must enter the interval in radians.

Thanks for your continuous improvements.
Very Happy

Ray D.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Point Labels:
Currently, only the magnitude value can be shown. It would be nice to have the magnitude/angle pair (angle in the selected radian or degree units) shown WITH the ability to add some small amount of text (but definitely, show the mag/angle pair values).

The Use amplitude only checkbox has been kept only for compatibility with older versions. You can use $X to show the X value (angle on polar plots) and $Y to show the amplitude. These may be combined, as in "$X degrees, $Y inches"

Quote:
Allow specifying both Major (marked with values) and Minor grid divisions. I currently have "12" divisions, which gives a nice 0, 30, 60, 90 degree Major grids, but I always have (4) minor grids (7.5 degree divisions in this case). I would like to be able to specify (3) minor grids (10 degree divisions) or some other Major/Minor grid combo.

Good point. Currently the number of minor grid lines is fixed internally, depending on the tick mark interval and the type of scaling. This will be changed for sure.

Quote:
When in Polar Plot Mode, switch the X, Y terminology to Angle, Radius (or Magnitude) on this (and other applicable) dialogs. Also have any entry fields or representations for angle (X) use the current radian/degrees setting.

That thought passes through my head every time I see it, but doesn't stick around long enough for me to change it. Now that it's committed to electrons I'll have a reminder, thanks.

Last edited by DPlotAdmin on Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
raydela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I like the $X and $Y thing!
Now that I have 20/20 hindsight, I did some searching for these in Help but they did not show up -- What other "hidden" format specifiers do you have available? I could use one for "degrees" symbol.
Also, are there specifiers to designate decimal accuracy (or to place extra 0's to keep values at the same decimal length)?
Ideally, for my polar data, I would like force constant label appearance as "amplitude".ddd @ "angle".d

I look forward the the other changes

Thanks again,
Ray D.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What other "hidden"...

Hidden??? Click Text>Label Points, then Help. See the bold text? Read that Very Happy

Quote:
format specifiers do you have available? I could use one for "degrees" symbol.

No hidden features. I might add the same formatting codes the legend, notes, axis labels and titles use. That would give you your degree symbol. But actually... you can do that now with Alt+0176.

Quote:
Also, are there specifiers to designate decimal accuracy (or to place extra 0's to keep values at the same decimal length)?
Ideally, for my polar data, I would like force constant label appearance as "amplitude".ddd @ "angle".d

Nope, currently point labels use the same number format used for the X axis for $X and the Y axis for $Y. You can't control the number of figures there, either, though that's coming as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: