Extents behavior

Q&A for Visual Basic, Visual Basic .NET, and PowerBasic developers using DPlot
Mike_KC1SX

Extents behavior

Post by Mike_KC1SX »

Hi. I've got a simple one-trace 2D graph where the X-axis goes from 14015 to 14025. I want to have tick labels at 015, 017, 019, 021, 023 and 025, with unlabelled ticks in between. I am not using any macros at this point (I haven't needed them yet). Whenever I try to set this up, the program overrides my manual X-axis limits with 14014 and 14026, creating wasted space that I dont want (this is for print, trying to match an existing format). Is there a simple way to fix this (even using macros)? If so, which macros (I tried ManualScale alone, but that didnt help).

Michael Tracy
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

That behavior is by design - the extents will always be a multiple of the tick mark interval no matter what settings you use. There's no way around this, sorry. I'll think about relaxing that requirement but I don't promise anything; changing this is liable to break other things.

If you're determined you can do what you want by setting the tick mark interval to 1 and the number format on the X axis to 'None', then add the numeric labels you want with the 'X,Y Labels' command on the Text menu.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
Mike_KC1SX

Extents behavior

Post by Mike_KC1SX »

I can see where the delta between the high and low extents would have to be related to the ticks, but why should the actual extent values be an issue? I can easly see how a lot of data would run from 1-5 instead of 0-4 and since they both have the same delta, they should have the same tick interval option. Or is there something more to this that I am not seeing?

Michael Tracy
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

I didn't claim that it made any sense, only that that's the way it is :-)

I'm fiddling around with this now. I'll post something here after I've tested it a bit.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

Mike,
I've changed the full version such that your specified extents will always be used on an unzoomed plot. You can get the update with Help>Check for Updates.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
Mike_KC1SX

Post by Mike_KC1SX »

David,

Perfect! Many thanks!

Michael