DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Controlling the size of the legend in 3-d contour plots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crainbr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Controlling the size of the legend in 3-d contour plots Reply with quote

Mr. Hyde,

DPlot is a very nice plotting package that I am using right now for making color 3-d contour plots of electromagnetic fields. Something that would help me a lot, and perhaps others, is having some control over the size of the legend when plotting 3-d contour plots with shaded bands, independent of the selection of # of intervals. I like to use lots of intervals to get a nice rich color picture, but the legend bar grows with each added interval until the legend bar is sometimes bigger than the plot itself! I know I can delete the legend from the plot, but it is important to include it on my plots.

I suggest that the contour plot options dialog box be augmented to give the user the ability to specify the number of "tick marks" between colors on the legend. For example, set this value to 0, and a color is displayed for every interval. Set this value to 1 and a color is displayed for every other interval. Set it to 2 and a color is displayed for every third interval. Etc, etc. You may have a better way to do this, but I hope you catch my intent.

One of the very, very nice features of your software is the ability to run the cursor over the 3-4 contour plot and get x-y-z values on the bottom of the screen. This really helps me when trying to understand my data. Thanks for putting this package together.

Bruce
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
That's a very good suggestion, thanks. I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not... but for shaded bands I think I'd prefer to show all the colors, but skip labels and make the key smaller. For contour lines I'd just skip labels.

In the meantime - I'm guessing you already know this, but just in case - the legend height is a function of the font size used. You might be satisfied with using a smaller font for the legend.

Quote:
Thanks for putting this package together.

You're quite welcome Very Happy. Thanks for your comments.
crainbr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Thanks for your quick reply. I tried making font as small as possible, but still had legend scroll to several columns when I used 100 intervals, for example. Whatever you can do to to allow up to hundreds of intervals and keep the legend to one column would be appreciated.

There is another suggestion that a colleague had today when I showed him a 3-d contour plot of a volumetric antenna pattern. Typically theta (vertical axis) is displayed with 0 degrees on top and 180 degrees on the bottom. It would be nice to have a means to display y axis with upper bound on the bottom and lower bound on the top. I know I can easily multiply the y values in the raw data by -1 to get the plot to appear in the proper orientation, but then the y-axis labels don't correspond to the real data. I know this suggestion is sort of a nit.
Thanks,
Bruce
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no nits Very Happy

Hmm... if you're not drawing the axes, then setting the Z scale factor to -1 (or negative whatever) does what you want, I think. But if you do draw the axes they're a bit fouled up. This shouldn't be too much trouble to fix; I'll try to have it done in.. some version after tonight's (late, late tonight).
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
'Tis done. Please let me know if this latest doesn't suit your needs.
crainbr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Amazing speed!

The selectable interval function for the legend works great. My plots never looked better ...

Regarding the inverted axis, it seems that you added a feature that I hadn't even thought of! My earlier query was with regards to ability to invert the y-axis for shaded-band contour plots. I see now that you misread my email and added a nice feature for inverting the z axis. Any chance to add the same feature to the y axis also? (I guess if you are able to do y, you could perhaps also do x also for completeness). I certainly don't mean to be a bother - if and when you are ever able to make such a change I would certainly appreciate it.

Regards,
Bruce
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
My fault for glossing over your request. I'll change this to work for X and Y as well. It will most likely be next week, though.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to chime in.
crainbr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I was just looking at your forum listing things to do, and wanted to clarify my request. I am looking for ability to invert the y axis when looking at a 2 dimensional color contour plot of Random 3-d points (i.e. the "View in 3-D" box is unchecked in the Contour Plot Options box). Perhaps when you build in the ability to specify negative scale factors for x and y, it will automatically invert scales for both 2-d display and 3-d display, but I wanted to let you know that my immediate need is for 2-d display.
Thank you,
Bruce
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
Yes, I understood that after initially... well... not understanding Smile

This is all done and as far as I can tell works without a hitch. There are a few simple items on the to-do list that I want to get plugged in before uploading an update, but it will definitely be sometime this week.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
Version 1.9.0.9 should take care of what you want to do. Thanks for the suggestions.
crainbr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
It works great! Thank you so much for making this update. You don't know how big of a help this is to me. I gave to plot a bunch of antenna patterns next week, and this is a huge help. Happy holidays!
Bruce
AndrewB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Trouble with the interval command Reply with quote

Hi,

I understand that Bruce wanted to keep a large number of intervals for the 3D interpolation, but restrict the legend (i.e. Z-axis legend) to a minimum number of entries.

I have tried using the DDE TickInterval command (though DPlotLib and VC++) but am still getting the same number of legend marks as there are interpolation intervals.

My complete command syntax is as follows (please excuse the C++ syntax, but I'm sure you can follow it!)

"[ContourMethod(0)]"
"[Contour3D(0)]"
"[ContourColorScheme(0)]"
"[ContourLegend(1)]"
"[LegendShow(0)]"
"[ContourLevels(256,5,50]"
"[Caption(\"ProSurvey\")]"
"[ContourGrid(0)]"
"[DeleteThinTriangles(30)]"
"[ZAxisLabel(\"%s\")]"
"[TickInterval(0,0,11)]"
"[ContourScales(1,1,1)]"
"[ContourAxes(1)]"
"[TextFont(1, 8, 0,0,0,0,0,\"Arial\")]"
"[TextFont(2,12,700,0,0,0,0,\"Arial\")]"
"[TextFont(4,10, 0,0,0,0,0,\"Arial\")]"
"[TextFont(5,10, 0,0,0,0,0,\"Arial\")]"
"[TextFont(6,10, 0,0,0,0,0,\"Arial\")]"
"[ClearEditFlag()]"

Any ideas why I'm still getting n legend entries, where n is 256 in this case!

Thanks.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TickInterval controls the interval between grid lines/labels on the axes; it has nothing to do with the legend.

As an aside, this:

[TickInterval(0,0,11)]

I'm sure isn't what you intended to do. For a 3D plot there should be 4 parameters. If the 4th is left off then dZ is set to 1.0. The first value tells DPlot whether to use your tick mark intervals (=1) or let DPlot choose an interval (=0). If the first number had been 1 then DPlot... oops... most likely would have crashed, as it doesn't check against setting dX to 0.

I've neglected to include a command to set the frequency of the legend entries, sorry. That will definitely be in there next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: