DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graph Curve Legend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rborn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Graph Curve Legend Reply with quote

I have a graph with multiple lines and would like to note what line is what. In this case, the lines are pipe sizes. I used the Text>Legend/Labels and put the pipe size in the "Curve Label". This will put the legend on the curve/line. However, it puts the text over top of the line which obscures the text label. Also, if the lines are close together, it is sort of hard to figure out what label goes to which line since the label can overlap two or more lines.

One way I got around the text being on top of the line was to just add spaces before the text in the Curve Label. This sort of works to solve that problem, but it makes the problem of the label being closer to an adjacent curve more of an issue and making it confusing what line label goes to what line.

What would probably help with this is to have an option to make the label parallel to the line. I guess if it was a curve, that might be more difficult to calculate.

Can you think of another way around this? I could add a note and put it anywhere I want but I can't seem to rotate the text to run parallel to the line. Using the note as it is is probably the best option I see, I can just locate it the best I can.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to provide an image of the graph you are trying to add labels to? When I am plotting multiple curves in my work, I typically rely on legends with different curve lines and line or point patterns to distinguish between them. What you seem to be describing sounds more like text for a Point Label or a Note. If you just want to put text next to a curve or line, you can use Text>Note to add the note, with any text you like. You can then click on the text and drag it anywhere you like on he graph. There is not currently a way to adjust the orientation of the note, but you can place it anywhere you want. The Text>Point Label is for a specific point on a curve and will add a leader line and arrow to the point you specify, but the text can also be moved anywhere on the graph by clicking and dragging the text. It might be possible to add an option to specify a rotation to the text in a future release, but that is not a current capability in DPlot.
rborn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an image of the graph. The black 3/8" is a note I added for testing. The red labels are Curve Labels.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xnnna3f35vlal8lwluiye/DPlot-Graph.png?rlkey=gu1oz1o4mehx55ubswznyuc5c&dl=0
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the image. I am not seeing an easy way to adjust the curve label positions at the present time. However, this is a good suggestion to have an option to define an offset for the curve labels. I will look into adding this functionality in a future release. In the meantime, manually adding text labels seems like the best workaround.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: