DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DPlot not properly closed - Windows 10 32-bit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roberto

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: DPlot not properly closed - Windows 10 32-bit Reply with quote

Hi,

Often DPlot turns out not be closing properly here in Windows 10 32-bit.

This is in particular obvious when browsing through existing DPlot files: after one or two files having been opened by double-clicking (and each time closing DPlot by clicking the cross button in the top-right corner) then following attempts to open DPlot files Windows 10 complains: 'error with sending the task to the program' (translated from Dutch).
From this point starting DPlot manually doesn't work either: nothing happens, even no error message.

When Ctrl-Alt-Del for opening the task manager and manually closing the background process 'Dplot for Windows application file' everything is fine again until it happens again at a random instance.

However, at the moment it seems the above described issue is not happening when closing DPlot by properly using the Exit command in the File menu (or Alt + F4) - tested by quickly opening and closing files.
BUT testing by quickly opening and closing files when using the cross button for closing can also work flawlessly for quite a while.
It appears mostly happening when after opening a file by double-clicking and DPlot is kept open for a bit longer time before clicking the cross button to close.

It's as if the cross button for closing can be clicked on at unfortunate moments e.g. while Windows or DPlot is doing other things and temporary doesn't like a sudden closing down of the software Smile

Roberto
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I'll look into it but this may be a dead end. I have two Windows 10 systems here and haven't had any problems (yet).
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar issue with Windows 10 64-bit.
I have two new supposedly identical GETAC S410 laptops with Windows 10 64-bit with the same version of dplot (evimage.exe ver 2.3.5.5).

On one laptop closing dplot makes it go away, but still remains in task manager occasionally.

On the other laptop, after closing dplot, it has never remained in task manager yet.

UPDATE:
the laptop that occasionally leaves DPLOT running has MS Office 2016 Home & Business installed/activated (but no active add-ins)

the laptop that always closes DPLOT did not have MS office installed - but it does now. I'll watch and see if it develops new behavior.
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reproduced the issue by closing EVimage (dplot) with several plots open - without saving the plots.
In Task Manager | Analyze Wait Chain, I get EVIMAGE.EXE is waiting for another process (splwow64.exe).

I don't have printers installed, nor have I tried to print anything.
The MS office 2016 is 32-bit, so I don't know if this is related.

The "good" laptop is still "good" with MS Office 2016 32-bit installed.

(Not yet running any antivirus on these laptops)
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Not yet running any antivirus on these laptops)

That was going to be my suggestion to look into, so thanks.

I don't know. I'll look into this right away.
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"bad" laptop installed enormous Windows update and it seems the problem has disappeared.

I've decided to declare success and run away.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've decided to declare success and run away.

You're my favorite kind of user. Very Happy

Your note about splwow64.exe prompted me to dig a bit. I suspect this problem may also exist on Windows 7 and 8 64-bit systems, though I don't know for sure. Even though you don't have a printer, DPlot attempts to get default printer information at startup. My guess is this leads to the problem. I'll look into it but my guess is the answer will be something like "keep up-to-date with Windows".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: