DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug applying Get Preferences to newly-opened file.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z_Harper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Bug applying Get Preferences to newly-opened file. Reply with quote

DPlot v.2.3.3.6
Windows 7 (32-bit)

Problem:

When multiple plots are open, the "Get Preferences" feature sometimes applies the preferences to the wrong plot (i.e., not the one in focus).

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have DPlot already open and viewing a plot file (the "original plot"). There can be multiple plots open, but the "original plot" is the one in the "foreground" window.

2. Open a different plot file (the "intended plot") by double clicking on a .grf file in Windows Explorer. The intended plot should now be in the foreground window.

3. Go to File->Get Preferences and select a settings file.

Expected outcome:

The saved preferences are applied to the intended plot.

Actual outcome:

DPlot switches back to the original plot (as if it had been picked using the "Window" menu) and applies the preferences to it. The intended plot is still open, but it is now in the background and has not been modified.

It's not immediately obvious that this has happened because, while the filename shown in the Windows title bar changes immediately, the viewing window still shows a frozen snapshot of the intended plot until all of the settings are applied (to the original plot) and the view refreshes. This can be very confusing and frustrating if the original plot and the intended plot contain similar-looking data, as the operation can appear as if it worked as expected, even though it didn't. (This is especially true if the plots also have similar-looking filenames.)

Because the intended plot doesn't have any unsaved changes, it doesn't warn on closing, so if you press CTRL-S to save (thinking you're saving the formatting changes to the intended plot) and then close DPlot (closing both files), you may not notice anything is wrong until you come back to the files later. I actually discovered the bug when this happened to me on a streak of 18 plots, where I thought I'd modified them all, but I'd only modified the 1st one 18 times. I did this twice before I realized what was going on.

Workarounds:

Open the intended plot though the DPlot interface ("File->Open") instead of Windows Explorer. Or, you can get around the bug by making any change to the intended plot before applying "Get Preferences"
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed description. I've never seen this problem but will of course look into it and fix it as soon as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: