DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCJimmmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

Just installed Windows 8 Release Preview. Wanted to see what issues might exist if I purchased and installed the OS when it comes out shortly.

I am currently writing a VS2010 program that models optics in new windshield designs. I am using Dplot with an eventual need for around 30 plots for various characteristics of the design and the resulting optics. I have an 11/1/2012 deadline, the program has some real hurtles, etc.

In Windows 7 I can create the 30 plots on different tab sheets with a generic setup for the plot - only existing option I have put into the program so far is 3D or flat. When I want to look at a plot with other options I quickly re-plot within my program. I can than start up DPlot externaly (its running hidden) and it shows the most recent plot I generated. This has been very handy as I try to work thru the 30 charcterstics for each point on a windshield.

With Windows 8 DPlot still functions fine within the program but I cannot start it outside the Visual Studio IDE to look at the latest plot. In fact, once I run my code for the first time in the IDE I cannot fire up Dplot regardless of my code running in the IDE or not. Only by closing VS2010 do I get back the ability to run DPlot.

Any ideas or experience with Windows 8? Can I change Dplot to not run hidden?

Lastly - where do you stand on 64x. Any hope for that dll soon?

Thanks
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience on Windows 8 yet, sorry. It should work normally as a desktop app but not at all as a Metro or whatever they're calling it now app. To run DPlot you'll need to switch to (what to most of us is) the desktop. Sorry I can't be more specific. I obviously need to load Windows 8 somewhere and give it a go. Honestly I've been hoping MS would realize the error in trying to merge the desktop and phone experiences, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

I'd say the 64-bit DLL is coming real soon, but I've said that too many times. I'm about ready to hire someone else to do it.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd say the 64-bit DLL is coming real soon, but I've said that too many times. I'm about ready to hire someone else to do it.

It is done now. See http://www.dplot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1299

The ctest3 and 4 demos are working though not included in the download yet. I'll first have a go at the C# demo programs and then include all of this in the next release.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I change Dplot to not run hidden?

Sorry, I missed this entirely on the first and second round. Yes, certainly. Find where you're calling DPlot_Start. From the docs:

HWND DPlot_Start(int Hide, int *was_active);

Parameters

Hide
If non-zero, DPlot will be invisible to the user. This is the same state used by DPlot_PlotBitmap and DPlot_PlotToRect if DPlot is not already running when those functions are called. If 0, DPlot is started normally (if it is not already running).

*was_active
Address of an integer value that receives 1 if DPlot was already running and 0 if it was not. If this parameter is set to NULL, no value is returned.
=====
If you are not calling DPlot_Start and instead are relying on DPlot_PlotBitmap or DPlot_PlotToRect to fire it up for you, instead add a call to DPlot_Start before either of those functions are called with Hide set to 0.

On Windows 8 in general, I still don't have it but do have it on good authority from another geek that it works as expected. But he's not doing the same sort of things you're doing. I'll speak up when I can carry on an intelligent conversation about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: