DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From uninstall surveys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: From uninstall surveys Reply with quote

This has been one of the more frustrating things I've encountered with DPlot: uninstall surveys that complain about not being able to do something that DPlot can do, but leave no e-mail address so that I can respond. I don't see a good way around this, but maybe mentioning the perceived problem here will help somebody else:

Quote:
features: when I tried to use DPlot to plot contour of a lake, the generated contour doesn't follow the true shoreline well. My guess is that the triangulation process created some bad triangles which are purely artificial. I think this might be something you want to work on the further improve the software.

other: Tecplot does contour plots for irregular boudnary problem very well.

Tecplot is no doubt a fine program, but it cannot possibly do this either. That isn't a limitation of Tecplot or DPlot, but a limitation of your input. Think about it: How can a program possibly figure out where the edges of a surface should be based on nothing more than randomly-placed X,Y,Z data? There simply isn't enough information there to guess at the boundary. DPlot's "Define Boundary" command allows you to correct the boundary easily enough. See, for example, http://www.dplot.com/define-boundary.htm.

It may be possible that if your data is evenly-spaced in X and Y that Tecplot makes some intelligent guesses about where the boundary should be. But even then, it is only a guess. Given only X,Y,Z, the only way to ensure that you get the correct boundary is to tell the program where the boundary is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: