DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non linear scale in polar mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miv

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Non linear scale in polar mode Reply with quote

Dear Admin,

how do I force magnitude scale in polar mode to be non linear, logarythmic for instance, or power of 4? I can't figure it out in the current version of DPlotJr. Is that possible? If not, it would be my suggestion to add this feature.

Thank you.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, that's not currently possible. I'll confess that I've never seen a polar plot with anything but a linear scale. The only problem I have with a log scale is... where does it start? With a linear scale there's a nice, obvious relationship between the amplitude and distance to the center of the plot.
miv

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antenna radiation pattern is a good example. Say, values fall in 0...-60dB range (This is another question by the way - how to label the magnitude scale with negative values - please let us now, thks). Then, the beamwidth is defined as 3dB drop in power. Now try to locate the -3dB points on a polar plot with a linear scale within 60dB range. Hard, isn't it? OK, now if to make magnitude scale to be power of 4, the -3dB point moves from the outer ring closer to the center, and rests at approximately quarter of the scale. Nice! And the curve now looks better.

Thks
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the example. To answer your question, you can't currently have negative radii on a polar plot. This limitation is due to my own experiences I suppose - all polar plots I've ever used depict some distance from a central point, so negative values are meaningless. I'll amend this in a future release.
miv

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just look on the Internet for a few antenna radiation pattern polar plot examples, and you'll get a very good idea what I'm talking about. The trick is that the radial scale depicts relative values (which is dB in this case), not absolute. And the reference point may take any place between the center and the outer ring. This is how you get positive and negative values.

If you could add support for this electromagnetic stuff, that would be great.
Thks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: