DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DPLOTLIB in 64-bit Vista - does it work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCJimmmy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: DPLOTLIB in 64-bit Vista - does it work? Reply with quote

Dplot works fine in my new 64-bit Vista PC.

However, my VB2008 Express program which ran well on my 32-bit Vista PC now crashes on the new PC. None of the 5 programs supplied in the download (btest1, btest2....) will work either.

When one of the dplotlib routines are called the following error message is generated. (working in the VB ide)

"An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)"

Has anyone run the dplotlib on 64-bit machine? Any help on how to fix?

Thanks

Jim
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - does it work outside the IDE, as a standalone executable?
PCJimmmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Try executable Reply with quote

Published an executeable from VB2008. It does have same error - only it occurs earlier. The executable fails when the program does the SetErrorMethod step which occurs during initial program loading. In the IDE it gets past that step for some reason and does not fail until I attempt a plot.

An executable of the vbnet btest2 program provided by you fails with the same errror in DPlot_MinVersion step with same error message during program load. In the IDE it gets past that step and does not fail until an actual plot is attempted.

The IDE will not add dplotlib.dll as a reference so that lets out a few ways to try.

But I did get closer to success while building the executables and was successful in getting btest2 to run.

When btest2 is the project in the IDE I have 3 choices in the Build dropdown (Build, Publish, Configuration Manager). When I configure the build for x86 active solution platorm (rather than Any CPU) btest2 runs in both the ide and as an executable - Very Happy

Does not yet solve my own program problem as for some reason the Configuration Manager is not on my drop down list when my program is in the IDE. I can't add the Configuration Manager to the menu bar for some reason either. But that seems more like a Microsoft issue rather than a Dplot. Sad

So still looking for a little help but suspect I need to post in a Microsoft or VB2008 Express site to find someone who's had the same issues.

Thanks for the clue - any plans in the future for 64 bit version for Dplot?

Will update this post once I figure out why my program is not letting me specifiy the build as x86.

Jim
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the clue - any plans in the future for 64 bit version for Dplot?

I've resisted buying another system with 64-bit Windows because I didn't see any point - all the reports I've had up to now have said DPlot worked fine. There are of course other benefits to porting DPlot to 64-bits, mainly access to more memory. But to me at least, it is already so slow when maxing out memory that that "feature" won't appeal to me until PCs get quite a bit faster. Anyhow... I guess I have an excuse for another computer now Smile
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After consulting 64-bit gurus who know far more than me about this sort of thing, I think the problem can be resolved with a 64-bit version of dplotlib.dll. (That says nothing about memory address space with a 64-bit version of dplot.exe, but that's a separate problem.) So all that's left for me to do is acquire a 64-bit compatible compiler and release a 64-bit version of dplotlib.dll (he says, crossing his fingers). This is at the top of my list, will let you know here when something is available to test. Thanks in advance for your patience Smile
PCJimmmy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Options Reply with quote

Took a while but finally found how to turn on the Configuration Manager so that I could build my program for x86. Once I made that change all of the Dplot libraries that I am using work on my 64bit machine. Still need to get to the production machine which is 32 bit and make sure it still works there but assume that it will.

In VB 2008 Express
Tools
Options
check mark Show advanced build configurations
OK

than
Build
Configuration Manager
change Active solution platform dropdown from AnyCPU to x86

Will still take a 64-bit dplotlib.dll if you can find the time and resources.

Jim
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the information. I'll definitely come up with a 64-bit version of DPLOTLIB.DLL at the first available opportunity. I *know* I have the tools... somewhere Smile If I don't find the CD soon I'll kick more money at MS and chalk this up as a disorganization penalty.
alpine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlotAdmin wrote:
Thanks much for the information. I'll definitely come up with a 64-bit version of DPLOTLIB.DLL at the first available opportunity. I *know* I have the tools... somewhere Smile If I don't find the CD soon I'll kick more money at MS and chalk this up as a disorganization penalty.

Just about to start writing some code.

Will be running on several machines, all running Windows 7 x64.

Any news on when x64 DPLOTLIB.DLL will be ready?

Many thanks!!
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry. I've been waiting to get a 64-bit system before diving into this. But your post is as good a reason as I can think of to go ahead and buy one Smile
alpine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlotAdmin wrote:
No, sorry. I've been waiting to get a 64-bit system before diving into this. But your post is as good a reason as I can think of to go ahead and buy one Smile

You can get pretty cheap ones these days. I saw an x64 Win7 Home prem Laptop going for $249 in Besy Buy the other day (Acer Extensa 5230)!!

I would love to see native x64 support soon if you can get to it!

Many, many thanks,
Adrian.
elziko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any news on this?

I'm in great need of an x64 version of dplotlib. At the moment I'm forcing our clients to install both the 32bit and 64bit versions of an application we have written which is not really ideal.

Thanks!
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news, other than I do finally have a good test machine for this. Hopefully I'll have something soon.
elziko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlotAdmin wrote:
No news, other than I do finally have a good test machine for this. Hopefully I'll have something soon.

Great. That sounds very encouraging, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Basic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: