DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphing of Implicit functions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHussy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Graphing of Implicit functions Reply with quote

Hi good work on the software to start, it aids me no end in the processes I have to cary out on a daily basis.

I have been trying to get Dplot to graph an implicit funtion for a couple of days now.

I require two main Items

1 PLottin a funtion of say 2x-x+xy+6y+50=0

2on the same graph I will also need to plot the asymptotes

I can see how the Asymptotes would be simple enough having equated the co-efficients but I am struggling to get the implicit to fit into a graph.

If from this stage you could find 2nd and 3rd order Differentials I would be pleased even further by Dplot's facilities.

Keep up the good work

OH HOW ABOUT LAPLACE TRANSFORMS AND FOURIER ANALASYS :D

COme on make life a little easier for us scientists..PLease :wink:
Dave H

[color=darkred][/color]
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Quote:
1 PLottin a funtion of say 2x-x+xy+6y+50=0

At first glance I thought you had thrown me a toughie, but... unless the above is a typo, this is rearranged fairly easily to

y = -(x+50)/(x+6)

which DPlot can do. If you're asking for DPlot to automatically do that rearrangement for you... Shocked

or if you're wanting to do the same sort of thing with equations that can't so easily be reduced, for example Ax + Bx^2 + Cxy + Dy^2 + E = 0... same sort of problem. I don't ever see DPlot becoming a symbolic processor like MathCad, for example.

Quote:
2on the same graph I will also need to plot the asymptotes

Given the above reduction, the asymptote is fairly obvious. If you want to draw a dashed line at x=-6, just use Edit>Edit Data and add a new "curve" with points at -6,<some low y value> and -6,<some high y value>.

You can clip the plot of the equation above by using Options>Amplitude Limits and setting low and high values outside of which points are ignored. It's difficult to describe the effect in writing - try this and you'll see what it does.

Quote:
If from this stage you could find 2nd and 3rd order Differentials I would be pleased even further by Dplot's facilities.

Me too! But... honestly I don't want to ever say that something absolutely won't happen, but transforming DPlot into a MathCad-like equation solver isn't likely to happen anytime soon. And if it does you could expect to pay significantly more for it.

Quote:
Keep up the good work

Thanks very much. If I've misunderstood what you're trying to do above please let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: