DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using JR to export to bitmap, and scale question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
walleye3313

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: using JR to export to bitmap, and scale question Reply with quote

hi david,

i'm still plugging away at my project! i promise to send you a copy to try out, really. you may recall that i am working with GPS/Sonar data and making bathymetric charts with the goal of being able to upload the data back to the GPS unit. right now i have everything working except converting the contour lines in the plot to coordinates. so....

here is my bit map question: when you set the dplot.plot command to save to a bitmap is the bitmap always the same size? or is the actual plot contained in the bitmap always the same(for example if i did not send a title that might make the whole image smaller but the plot area might still be the same)

the reason that i want to know is that i am going to take a plot from JR save it as a bitmap then i am going to scan the bit map bit by bit and record the bits which are black so that i can generate co-ordinates for each black bit. then i can use the coordinates in my app to do some cool stuff, well it will be cool to me at least.

now my scale question: supposing that the bitmap is always the same, can i set the scale of the plot at runtime? i am almost sure that i can, but have not really played to much in trying.

what i would like to have happen is to find that the bitmap is always some size, for example 500x500, then i could set the scale for x to be 100-600 and the scale for y to be 450-950 and i would have a 1 unit to 1 bit "conversion" to get coordinates. this is of course a simplistic example but i think you understand my idea.

one more thing that just popped into my mind: suppose i have some data that when sent to JR results in four contour lines one each at z=5, 10 15 and 20. but i only want to plot the z=10 line. can i simply reset the number of contour lines and the spacing in my command line so that i just get one contour and have it be the same as if i plotted the whole thing? my hunch is that yes i can, that i would be in essence just turning off the other lines.

thanks a bunch,
jerry
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,
To get the same size 2D plot every time, regardless of whether there's a title or axis labels or not, use [Size(1,width in inches,height in inches,1)]. Width and height are the size of the box around the plot, not including axis labels, numbers, titles, etc.

Quote:
one more thing that just popped into my mind: suppose i have some data that when sent to JR results in four contour lines one each at z=5, 10 15 and 20. but i only want to plot the z=10 line. can i simply reset the number of contour lines and the spacing in my command line so that i just get one contour and have it be the same as if i plotted the whole thing? my hunch is that yes i can, that i would be in essence just turning off the other lines.

Use [ContourLevels(1,10,10)]

Looking forward to seeing your stuff, thanks.
walleye3313

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlotAdmin wrote:
Jerry,
To get the same size 2D plot every time, regardless of whether there's a title or axis labels or not, use [Size(1,width in inches,height in inches,1)]. Width and height are the size of the box around the plot, not including axis labels, numbers, titles, etc.

wow, that's cool. if i make the plot larger that will give me more bits and therefore a smaller "minor division" on the bit map then wouldn't it? for example if i made the bitmap 2x2 and the resulting scale was 1 bit = 1 foot and i then changed the size to 4x4 i would then have a scale of 1 bit=.5 foot.

is there a size limit for how big i can make the bitmap? the reason i ask is that i can only have 10,000 points in my finished file to upload(hardware limitation) and it would be optimum to have my points that i upload be about 1 meter apart. so i would like to be able to make the plot large enough to cause each bit to represent one meter on the surface of the earth. that way i can get the best possible resolution. i might also add a feature to my app that allows the user to accept a lower level of resolution there by enabling a larger portion of the earth to be shown in one file.

[quote}

Use [ContourLevels(1,10,10)]

Looking forward to seeing your stuff, thanks.[/quote]

that's what i thought, thanks

jerry
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if i make the plot larger that will give me more bits and therefore a smaller "minor division" on the bit map then wouldn't it?

Yes, that's correct.

Size limits: only the amount of memory you have. This shouldn't be a problem for any reasonable size, or even a... umm... unreasonable size.
walleye3313

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great,

i'll have to do some experimenting with sizes to find just the right size to give me 1 meter between pixels.

thanks
jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: