DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 10 users? Please check in.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Windows 10 users? Please check in. Reply with quote

A Windows 10 user is having a problem that is perplexing me. When he starts DPlot he gets the wait cursor and then... nothing. I recently acquired a Windows 10 system and as expected DPlot works fine, and I'm out of ideas.

If you have Windows 10 and DPlot (any version), does it work? If not, what exactly happens when you start it up?

Thanks for your time.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followup: the user having all sorts of problems on Windows 10 was using Symantec anti-virus software. Once he disabled that, DPlot worked fine for him.

At this time I have no idea whether Symantec AV will cause problems on other Windows versions. But whether you're using Symantec on an older version of Windows or having similar problems on Windows 10 (with or without another AV product) I'd very much appreciate your input.
Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

In the past I experienced a similar thing but on Windows 7: new software upgrade (Serif PagePlus, I believe) not behaving properly (actually totally unusable). Took a while back and fourth with support, reinstalling in several ways, etc. They gave up but adviced in the right direction: disabling running virusscanner task (which didn't excist).

In the end it was all caused by my (System Mechanic Professional) Internet security suite (the virus scanner in particular). Disabling in the suite didn't work but had effect, killing the virusscanner Windows process (not a task but a process!) did the trick.

Decided to uninstall the whole security crap and gained better overall system performance. Like it that way. Haven't reinstalled System Mechanic. Tried Bitdefender during a trial period later, though but it affected system performance as well so I trashed that one as well.

My DPlot license is used on my pc with Win7. A household member has upgraded her laptop to Win10 (which she regrets). I could try Dplot on her laptop if you're still interested (old thread in the mean time).

Roberto

Last edited by Roberto on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dupli
Peter Simmonds

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 10 users? Please check in. Reply with quote

Hi

I have been using DPlotJr for some time, usually calling the program to plot graphs from other software. This all works fine in Windows 10 (which I just installed a couple of months ago).

However, if you close DPlotJr after editing a graph (without saving it), DPlotJr can no longer be re-started, either by clicking on the DPlotJr program icon (DPLOTJR.EXE) in its installed directory, or from an external program. As a manifestation of that, if the external program calls DPlot_Start in DPLOTLIB.DLL, the function invariably returns a zero.

It seems the only way to get DPlotJr to work again is to re-boot the computer. I had a brief look at the registry and there's seems to be no change but I may be wrong.

This problem does not occur in Windows 7 or Windows 8. Any ideas? I know this sounds like a very odd problem.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll look into this as soon as possible.

To avoid rebooting, it is most likely that DPlot Jr crashed but Windows thinks it is still an active process. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, click the Processes tab, and see if dplotjr.exe is there. If so, highlight it and click "End Process".
Peter Simmonds

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your reply, and yes, you're right, the process is still running (in background) and if I stop the process, then I can run DPlotJr again. As a work around, I could possibly programmatically terminate the process from the calling program but any other solution would be better!

Thanks gain for your help

Best wises

Peter
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Symantec Technical Support:

If you are unable to run the DPlot application please follow the below steps.

Step 1: Navigate to control panel.
Step 2: Select symantec endpoint protection.
Step 3: Click change and Modify.
Step 4: Under proactive threat protection, disable Application and device control.
Step 5: Complete the wizard and reboot the machine.

This will allow you to disable the Application and device control feature.

Note: The above steps are applicable for unmanaged client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: