DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tick-mark options -- wish list + bug report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterSJC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Tick-mark options -- wish list + bug report Reply with quote

I am a brand-new user, having just downloaded DPlot Trial Version 1.9.7.2, and am trying to figure out whether DPlot will meet our department's formatting requirements for scientific plotting.

Here is my wish list:

1. Tick marks need to point outside the graph (below the X axis, and to the left of the Y axis). This is important to those who think only data should appear within the box.

2. It would be nice to be able to omit the tick marks from the top and right sides of the box.

Also, I think I have found a problem in your minor-tick-mark feature, when the Box Around Curves option is selected. In the Extents/Tick Marks/Size dialog, I selected "Specify interval" with a Y-axis interval of 10, and I specified "Minor grid/tick divisions on Y axis" as 2, while leaving the setting for the X axis unchanged at 1. This should give me Y ticks at 0, 5, 10, 15..., but the ticks are only at 0, 10, 20... If I then switch from Box to Grid, the minor divisions are shown correctly, but if I switch back to Box, they are not.

However, if I then select a value other than 1 for "Minor grid/tick divisions on X axis," the minor Y ticks are shown correctly and continue to be correct, even if I switch "Minor grid/tick divisions on X axis" back to 1.

So far, I am impressed with your product and your responsiveness in the Forum.

Thanks,
Peter
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Thanks for your comments. Your #1 and #2 aren't possible right now but will be added to the to-do list.

I'm not getting the behavior you describe with minor tick marks, but I think this may simply be a matter of your screen resolution or, perhaps like me, you need new glasses. The minor tick marks are roughly 1/2 the length of the major tick marks. If your screen resolution is low enough (or the document window is small enough) then those tick marks may not be visible - or at least not obvious.

OR... perhaps I've overlooked something and we're using some different setting that is exposing a bug at your end. If you're certain that those tick marks aren't drawn as they should be, I'd appreciate it if you'd save your plot to a DPlot file and attach it to an e-mail message to me.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Thanks for the example. Something isn't being initialized properly. I'll definitely have this fixed in the next release; in the meantime you can get around the problem by setting the minor interval on the X axis to 2 or more, then resetting it to 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: