Excel 2010 Barchart Problems

VBA and general Excel Q&A and examples
DWW

Excel 2010 Barchart Problems

Post by DWW »

I'm seeing a number of problems when I try to create a bar graph of the following Excel 2010 data:

Region Cow Sheep Goat W Buf Blend

Abruzzo 6 2 4 1 8
Lazio 7 8 3 5 7
Marche 8 6 5 6 9
Molise 5 6 5 4 8
Tuscana 15 15 15 15 15
Umbria 7 8 5 3 6

When the chart first appears, the X headings are offset to the right causing me to have to manually change the label values to shift them back left where they belong.

In trying to change the colors of bars, right clicking a bar sometimes brings a pop up with "color" in it, sometimes not. If I do get the popup with "color" and change color, the color of a different bar (other than the one clicked) changes.

Can anyone help with these? Thanks very much.
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

When the chart first appears, the X headings are offset to the right causing me to have to manually change the label values to shift them back left where they belong.
Which Add-in command are you using? When I use "Bar chart (label, Y1, Y2,...)" the placement of the labels along X looks perfect to me.
In trying to change the colors of bars, right clicking a bar sometimes brings a pop up with "color" in it, sometimes not. If I do get the popup with "color" and change color, the color of a different bar (other than the one clicked) changes.
Thanks for pointing out the problem. At first I thought it was just a tolerance problem, but it is worse than that. Until this is fixed, use the Colors button on the toolbar.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
jsc

Post by jsc »

Using Bar Chart (Label, Y1, Y2,...) from Excel 2007 I get what DWW describes, ie, the X-axis labels are set one set to the right. The label "Umbria" does not show on the plotted data - it's off screen to the right.

However, it seems that the cause is the extra empty line between the first and third rows. Get rid of the empty line, and the data plots correctly.

WinXPsp3, xl2007, DPlot 2.3.5.3
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

Ah, good catch! When I tried it I just reflexively deleted that blank line.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com