DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multible Plots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Multible Plots Reply with quote

We downloaded the evaluation version for our purchase decision.
Can multiple plots be placed on the same graph. We need to add additional contour line plots or 2D line plots or both to existing contour line plots. Can that be done?
Thanks
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in DPlot. A few other users have done this by copying the plots to the Clipboard and pasting into PowerPoint as metafiles. You'll of course first need to do a bit of preparation, using Options>Extents/Tick Marks/Size to set the plot size and extents on both to the same values. You might also consider using "None" for the number formats on one plot to avoid small placement errors.
DouglasArnold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Are there any updates or changes to this feature of multiple plots?

I have multiple X-Y data curves that overlap to the point that I cannont see those under the last curve plotted. I would like to view the graphs on multiple plots similar to the method in Print >Multiple Plots.

Thank you,
Doug Arnold
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For overlays see http://www.dplot.com/blog/2009/07/plot-overlays.html

If you mean you want multiple graphs in the same window, but separated as you get with the "Multiple" print feature, there is no way to do that and there is not likely to be. Window>Tile is the best you can do.
jsc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Last June 2011 I asked about the possibility of being able to synchonize tiled windows on screen to act like a multiple plot arrangement. This might be a totally interactive method only to take carefully sized plots with the correct scaling and have a way to lock in zoom levels and x scrolling. You thought it might be possible. You could limit the number of windows handled to something like 3 or 4.

You seemed to think it was a good idea at the time. This wouldn't mess up the file structure because it would be a totally interactive thing. (maybe with some ini file references to a cfg file/list, kind of like the way images are handled. Or the way overlays are handled.)
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I thought it was a good idea, I'm sorry Smile

It is doable, I just frankly don't see the point. Presumably you and DouglasArnold don't like Window>Tile because the window captions take up screen space... right? But how much screen space do you recover by putting, for example, 4 plots in the same window? Unless your screen is huge (bigger than anything I know about), it is still cramped.

Unless I'm missing some aspect of having those 4 (or however many) plots in the same window. If I am, I don't see it. On the flip side, there are more than a few reasons this isn't a swell idea, starting with: If you select an operation to manipulate/edit the data values, which plot are you interested in? The last one that was active? (but what does active now mean?), all of them, or the 1st and the 4th, or what?
vahraz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I am also interested in this multiple plot business. MATLAB allows you to have a grid of subplots, e.g., 3 rows by two columns in a plot, and you use the command subplot(row #, column#) to address individual subplots. There are many occasions that you want to do this and I think it is a very good idea for DPLOT to implement it. Thanks.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I don't get anybody's hopes up on this subject, this will almost certainly not happen.

I'm still fuzzy on why putting multiple graphs in the same window is significantly better than Window>Tile. The last post mentions addressing one plot as opposed to another in Matlab, but you can already do that in DPlot macros with Activate(x) commands.

I'm not fishing for justifications. I just wanted to make this clear so that nobody is waiting for a new feature that isn't going to happen.
vahraz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok David, I mentioned MATLAB before because you had, in a previous note, asked how one should address different plots. So if you already have the activate(x) function, then what is the difficulty in providing a matrix of subplots in one plot. The Window/Tile is not at all the same thing. As you have noted previously, the windows have frames, etc. I want to have a single plot file (e.g, multiplot3.grf) that when I bring up, shows all the subplots, for example, three plots under each other, all having the same x axis but with different y axes, showing the variation of several parameters versus x. Now, of course, it is up to you if you want to do this or not. But it would be a nice feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: