DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labeling Points

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Labeling Points Reply with quote

I am using DPLOTLIB.DLL to generate my plots in VB6. I am trying to label the curves and have run into two different problems with my LOG-LOG plots.

1) Using the D.Label method, I get labels that I cannot control the size, location, or rotation of. As a result, they are overlapping and unreadable.

2) I switched to using TextPointLabel similar to this to label the last (top) point of my curves:

"[SelectCurve(" & CStr(j) & ")]"
"[TextPointLabel(" & CStr(lNumberPoints(j)) & ",-100,-300,0,0,8," & Chr$(34) & sLabel(j) & Chr$(34) & ")]"

I have to build the strings in a loop to handle multiple curves. The problem is the LOG-LOG graph does not handle the XY offset well at all - I get labels on the curves to the right, but the curves to the left are off the plot. It appears that I may need to generate custom absolute points, but I would like to try to avoid that.

My problem: With #1, I get labels that are mostly perfect, but I have no control over for size, location, or rotation. With #2, I cannot get consistent locations because of the LOG-LOG plot. Also with #2, I must have the label within the plot when I really want it outside next to the last data point.

Can I get more control of the labels in case #1?
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add an options flag for TextPointLabel that says X and Y are physical offsets in... say... hundredths of inches rather than plot-space values. This won't cure wanting to place labels off the plot, though. I'll have to give that one some more thought.

For log-log scales you can get a consistent offset for all labels with the current version with

X=exp(log(Xpt)+log(Xoff))
Y=exp(log(Ypt)+log(Yoff))

where Xpt, Ypt are the coordinates of the labelled point, Xoff, Yoff are absolute values of the offsets. Use - log(Xoff) if you want the label to the left of the point.

Quote:
Can I get more control of the labels in case #1?

No, that's a different animal than labels created with TextPointLabel.
markt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I assume that D.Label was a quick thing that was never intended to allow options. If you allow escaped control characters in the label to control the rotation though....

D.Label = "^LMylabel" ' Rotate label 90 degrees CCW
D.Label = "^RMylabel" ' Rotate label 90 degrees CW

Just a thought.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, with the benefit that it won't break existing plots. I'll add something along these lines for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Basic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: