DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWaterman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Windows 7 Reply with quote

We are about to make a move to win 7 64 bit. I use DPlot Dplotjr And Dplotlib called from MS Access and Excel. Are there any known holes I can avoid falling down with a bit of timely advice?
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a recent (less than a year old or so) version of the Excel Add-In it won't be a problem with either the 32- or 64-bit version of Excel 2010. You can easily figure out if you do by taking a look inside the VBA and searching for "#if VBA7". If it is there, you're in good shape.

I'm not sure what you're doing from Access, but if you install the 64-bit version and are calling functions in dplotlib.dll, it won't work.

I'm still working on a 64-bit version of the DLL. When that is done this will no longer be a problem.
AWaterman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Access, I use dplotlib. I rambled on about this (and a lot of other stuff) in a previous post http://www.dplot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1208&

When do you reckon on having the 64 bit dll done?

#if VBA7 does appear in our version, so the XL side is OK. Maybe I should be less of a lazy dog and use this technique in Access (ie put it all in an addin rather than using the dll) as you suggested in that earlier post.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on the 64-bit version now. I'm sure it should be much easier than I'm encountering, but it is just a matter of time.

That DLL will be available soon, but there actually is a good reason to move all of the DDE calls into your VBA code and get rid of dependence on the DLL other than 32- vs. 64-bit issues. The old Excel VBA changed the working directory to that of the Add-In so that Excel could find the DLL, which seems a bit kludgy to me. If the DLL isn't needed then this goes away.
AWaterman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just implemented similar kludgy fix in Access, as I am running it in two different environments with dplotlib in different places. However, good news is that our move to win 7 isn't a move to 64 bit office. We are moving to 32 bit Office 2010 (I just found out) so I think we should be OK.

Thanks
Lurking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I use 64 bit Win7 and Office 2007.

All my stuff goes to Dplot from Excel though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: