DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disable the greater than sign on contour legend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCdenizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Disable the greater than sign on contour legend Reply with quote

We sometimes have some data that fall beyond the graph extent of 15 (and beyond the color legend we've set). When dplot notices this is the case, it helpfully includes a greater than or equal to sign next to the highest z-value, indicating that the color in question is representing values of 15 and greater.

Unfortunately, this is causing some major grief because the multiple plots need to line up with each other exactly in terms of plot region, legend, etc. Is there a method to disable the behavior?

To be clear, we do not care what happens above 15. The data aren't graphed and we don't assign any colors to z-values greater than 15.

Thanks for your great application!!
DCdenizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum: we care insofar as the data points above 15 impact how the blur is graphed below 15.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a switch to the Contour Options dialog for this. In the meantime, DPlot only shows the > and < if the difference between the top/bottom level and the corresponding data extent is more than one contour interval. For example if your intervals are ...13,14,15 and the maximum Z is 16.1, you'll see >. If it is 15.9, you won't. So you can use Edit>Operate on Z with something like Z=if(Z>15,15.1,Z) and also be sure to set the upper Z extent to 15 using Options>Extents/Intervals/Size.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a trivial change and it is done. I hope to have a new release turned loose by the coming weekend (Nov 12-13).
DCdenizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much!!!!
DCdenizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm seeing now is that dplot quits immediately upon any operation on Z. So even Z=Z or Z=(Z) causes dplot to quit without any message or error. This is using the edit>operate on z... command from the menu.

Any idea what's happening?
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, none. I tried a few examples and it worked as expected. Please save your graph as a DPlot file and send it to me.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your file. The "good" news is I get the same results as you. But whatever is going on, it isn't a recent problem. I tried versions from the summer and got the same results.

There is something odd going on with the "Label every" entry. If you set that to 1, then use Operate on Z, it will work. You can then reset "Label every" and the contour levels to whatever you want. DPlot is attempting to automatically adjust the contour intervals to match the change in Z, but for reasons I haven't found yet (but will soon) that is getting botched up when "Label every" is greater than 1.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found and fixed the problem, which has been there for a while. If you perform any operation that might result in the amplitudes changing (like Operate on Z), DPlot resets the number of intervals and the low and high values to "nice" numbers, generally 20 intervals or fewer. The "fewer" is what causes the crash in your case. DPlot doesn't check against the number of intervals being less than the "Label every" value, which ends up causing a /0 error. This is fixed at my end and will be in the next release.
DCdenizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Great, thanks so much. I'll look for the update!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: