K-type (3D CSV Contour) Plot: Contour Coloring Bug

Found a bug? Tell us about it here
raydela

K-type (3D CSV Contour) Plot: Contour Coloring Bug

Post by raydela »

Hello,

I'm running the latest version (2.2.9.4) of DPlot.
I imported a 3-column CSV formated file (X,Y,Z) ["K" Type File] and discovered that the contour color is not working properly for the z-levels in the data.

If needed I can e-mail the large (~6MB) CSV file, but here is a short summary of X,Y,Z ranges:

X varies from 0 to 360 in 0.1 increment steps (this represents an INPUT ANGLE in degrees)

Y varies from 0 to 60 in 0.1 increment steps (this represents an INPUT MAGNITUDE - relative units)

Z has same units as X:
Z=0.0 for Y=0 to Y=7 (for all X) -- This has proper contour color
Z=72.0 for Y>7 to Y = 40 (for all X) -- This has NO (i.e. white) contour color
Z=-5.0 for Y>40 to Y = 60 (for all X) -- This has NO (i.e. white) contour color
Note that these are discrete transitions in this particular data. When I hoover the mouse over the uncolored areas of the plot that should be colored I can see that the data is indeed there.

Also, I made sure that min & max input values in Contour Options included the values seen in the data to no avail.

Ray Delaforce
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

I've tried several ways of fouling this up, but haven't been able to yet. With "shaded bands" I get the expected 3 horizontal bands from 0<=Y<=7, 7<Y<=40, and Y>40. With contour lines I get lines at (depending on what interval I use) Y=7 and Y=40.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this to foul up is the extents of the plot under Options>Extents/Intervals/Size. For example if I set the Z extents to -4 to 4, the plot is mostly white. But that's the correct behavior for those extents.

You're welcome to send me your file.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

By the way (though this has nothing to do with whatever problem you've found), you can generate this surface with Z=f(X,Y) and

Z=72*(y>7)-77*(y>40)

(The inequalities are evaluated as true=1, false=0.)

Curiously, this:

Z=if(y>40,-5,if(y>7,72,0))

does not work and gives a syntax error about too many parameters. Apparently if() blocks cannot be nested, though I'm not sure why at the moment. Will definitely look into this.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
raydela

Post by raydela »

I've sent a zipped file containing the .grf file and the .set configuration file I used.

Ray Delaforce
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

The problem is what I mentioned earlier. Under Options>Extents/Intervals/Size your Z extents are -2 to 30. So the Z=-5 and Z=72 points are clipped.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
raydela

Post by raydela »

Duh! (I slap my own head)

Sorry I didn't read your earlier posting closely enough.
When you wrote, "Options>Extents/Intervals/Size your Z extents", my mind was still focused on Options>Contour Options.../Input values/upper and lower interval limits.

Thanks for your patience.

Ray Delaforce