DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paging any Excel 2010 64-bit gurus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Paging any Excel 2010 64-bit gurus Reply with quote

I've about reached my level of incompetence with the Excel Add-In with this version of Excel. It almost works, but there are a couple of gotchas that I've been scratching my head over for a while and have reached a dead end.

1) There's a single function that is called by all Add-In functions that adds a hidden note to the produced plot, describing the source reference, e.g. "Source: [examples.xls]ZGrid!B6:AG37". Works swell in Excel 2010 32-bit and all previous versions of Excel, but for some reason I can't fathom this crashes Excel 2010 64-bit.

2) The precursor to the Add-In, dplotlib.xls, works fine with Excel 2010 64-bit (after commenting out the function mentioned in #1). But if I try to save as either a new .xlam Add-In or the old .xla format, Add-In functions work (sometimes) once, but never twice. The second time (and sometimes the first) has always resulted in a crash of Excel.

If you feel like you're in the know about 64-bit Excel, or even if you just want to take this for a spin, please contact me at support@dplot.com. You'll be able to fiddle around with the VBA code as much as you'd like. Any pointers would of course be most welcome.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I've beaten this one into submission now, and a .XLAM version of the Add-In will now work with Excel 2010 64-bit. To load the updated Add-In:

1. If you have previously installed an older Add-In then:

• Start Excel.
    • Select File>Options.
    • Select Add-Ins in the left pane
    • Ensure "Excel add-ins" is selected in the "Manage" list at the bottom of that dialog, and click Go.
    • Uncheck "DPlot interface" if it is checked, then click OK.
    • Exit Excel.
    • Using Explorer, navigate to %appdata%\Microsoft\Addins.
    • Delete dplotlib.xla.

2. Download http://www.dplot.com/excel/dplotlib.xlam, saving the file to %appdata%\Microsoft\Addins.
  3. Start Excel
  4. Select File>Options
  5. Select Add-Ins in the left pane
  6. Ensure "Excel add-ins" is selected in the "Manage" list at the bottom of that dialog, and click Go.
  7. Check "DPlot interface", then click OK.

Probably best to test this with the example spreadsheet examples.xls just to get your feet wet. That file should be located in the same folder where you installed DPlot (assuming you previously installed the Add-In). If you can't find it, you can get another copy here: http://www.dplot.com/excel/examples.xls

Your comments and of course any problems you run in to are of course welcome.
koyama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Excel 2013 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. I've gone though the steps above and the DPlot option still doesn't come up.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Explorer, look in %appdata%\Microsoft\Addins. Is there a dplotlib.xla or dplotlib.xlam there?

If you don't have that folder, create it and download dplotlib.xlam from the link provided, saving to that folder.

If none of that helps, use File>Options, select Add-Ins in the left pane, click "Go" next to "Excel add-ins". Is "DPlot interface" there and is it checked?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Excel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: