DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excel data source

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chljl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Excel data source Reply with quote

I use DPlot to do a lot graphing with Excel data. But sometime I can't remember the data source of the graph. Can DPlot add some notes in the grf file to show the data source, including the sheet name and the data range? That will be useful.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using the Add-In, the sheet name is used for a title line. I hadn't considered using the range of the data anywhere, though - that's a good suggestion.
chljl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually delete the title line for the file name so that I can put the graph in my formal documents. But later on when I look back these graph I can't find what data I used to produce them. So I would appreciate if you can record these information as remarked lines in the grf files.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next version will include a hidden note (that you can make visible by clicking on the Note button) in the form "Source: [filename]Sheet Name!RxCx:RyCy". As of now that hidden note is placed just above the top left corner of the plot, though you can of course move it wherever you want by clicking the Note button. Within the DPlot file, the note will show up as something like:

Code:
NoteV3
-1,0,33,8,4,0,0,-1
Source: [examples.xls]XYYY!R10C1:R211C13

The only thing that's a little iffy for me is what to do if you're appending data from Excel to an existing graph. No consideration is given to whether the new note will overlap any previously-existing note, and I don't see a good way around that. Since the notes are hidden that isn't a huge deal and as far as I can tell will fulfill your request in any case. I'm just fidgeting over figuring out a better way of handling this. If it changes at all it will be to change the location, which is mostly irrelevant as far as what you wanted.

Thanks for the suggestion.
chljl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is real excellent customer support!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: