DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem installing Excel plug-in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Problem installing Excel plug-in Reply with quote

I've just purchased DPlot after trying it. I like the program a lot. However, I've not been able to get the Excel add-in to install, which (while not essential) I would like. I set the macro security down to low, as suggested. However, I still get the error message "This system does not have Microsoft Excel (required for the Excel Add-in) installed." For some reason, my Excel isn't being recognized. I've tried the separate installation procedure, with the same result. Is my Excel is too old (2000 version, 9.0.2720)? Any ideas, anyone?

Ted.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version shouldn't be a problem; I've installed it successfully on a Windows 95 system running Excel 97.

If you've run Excel then the install script should find it, but I've been wrong before. But fortunately there's a fairly simple workaround:

• Exit Excel if it is running.
  • Open Windows Explorer. Look in the \addin folder below dplot.exe (default location=c:\Program Files\DPlot\addin).
  • Select the 3 files dplotlib.xla, dplotlib.dll, and dplot.hlp. Right-click and select Copy.
  • Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns (create that folder if it does not exist).
  • Right-click and select Paste.
  • Start Excel.
  • Select Tools>Add-Ins. Check "DPlot Interface". Click OK.

Please let me know if you have any problems with this.
erd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank, you David. Given that you are a one-man operation, your support is a marvel! That installed it, just fine. Thanks.

Ted.
jsc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Me again Very Happy ! I just installed one of our licensed copies on the quality manager's laptop. He's running Win XP Pro sp2 with Office XP/2002. The Excel add-in did not install correctly, but I manually fixed the problem. However, when I walked him through the update to 2.068 just now, it still didn't work correctly, and Excel shouted a Error 13 VB Type Mismatch (something like that?) problem. Then when quitting, Excel wanted to know if we wanted to save addinsetup.xls, which I've not seen before.

Any suggestions?
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess, but it's only a guess at the moment, is this line is causing a problem:

Code:
AddIns("DPlot Interface").Installed = True

not that there's anything obviously wrong with that line, but everything else in the one macro in that file is fairly standard stuff. But what to do about it, I don't have a clue right now. As for prompting you to save the file, my guess is that after the error message you inadvertently pressed <Enter> or some other key which, as far as Excel was concerned, modified the file.

I'm seriously considering throwing out this part of the installation and simply displaying instructions for how to make the Add-In accessible (click Tools>Add-Ins, check "DPlot Interface"). A lot of folks don't read the introductory bit about enabling macros and there's also your problem... which I think may be related to other installed third-party Add-Ins, but I haven't been able to track it down yet.
michaelgem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigating to c:\Program Files\DPlot\addin finds no folder addin, only macros and plugins. So I can't locate the 3 files. I thought I asked for the plugin during installation. Should I uninstall and reinstall?

Also I am curious whether the Exel addin works with the version in microsoft works. I have substituted the open office suite for microsoft office and wonder if the addin can be made to work with open offices spread sheet?

Thanks for any assistance,

Michael
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
The post you are looking at is a few years old. I stopped copying the Add-In files to the <dplot folder>\addin over a year ago. You should see the 3 files dplotlib.xla, dplotlib.dll, and dplotlib.chm in

c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns

on XP or 2000. On Vista the folder structure is a bit different; for any of Windows 2000, XP, or Vista you can navigate to

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\AddIns

in Explorer, and you should see those 3 files.

The Add-In should work with any version of Excel newer than '97, and unless you're hanging on to an old Windows 95 box that should apply to you.

The Add-In will not work with Open Office Calc. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about this before Calc has a more robust VBA-like scripting capability.

It is possible that the setup program got confused by the presence of Open Office. Looking at the setup script I don't think so, but I've been wrong before. If you don't see those 3 files in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\AddIns please try installing DPlot again (there is no need to uninstall) and see if that works. If not, please let me know and we'll take it from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Excel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: