Y=f(X,Y1,Y2...) dialog initialization

Found a bug? Tell us about it here
raydela

Y=f(X,Y1,Y2...) dialog initialization

Post by raydela »

Hello,

Just recently downloaded your latest version (1.9.1 - registered) and began "poking" around as it's been a couple months since I've had a chance to use DPlot. Here's something I found in the Y=f(X,Y1,Y2...) dialog:

1.) The first time I entered the dialog (just to take a look) and hit <CANCEL> without modifying any entries, a warning message popped up indicating the "upper bound must be greater than the lower bound". If I hit <OK> then a warning message that I must enter a function -- In other words, I was stuck in the dialog simply by viewing it.

2.) I entered some simple function just to make the dialog "happy" (Y=X, from 0 to 1) and hit OK -- got a plot as expected.

3.) I went into the dialog again (the previous function was remembered --which is fine) and pressed <CANCEL>. Instead of simply exiting, the Y=X equation was plotted again.

4.) I went again into the dialog and cleared the function and the bounds and pressed <CANCEL>. This time the DPlot application exited altogether to Windows.

I checked the following other function dialogs and they seemed to work as expected when I pressed <CANCEL>:

X=f(T), Y=g(T)
Y=f(X),
Z=f(X,Y)

This is when I noticed that these other function dialogs had a default value for the upper and lower bounds, whereas Y=f(X,Y1,Y2...) opens the dialog with uninitialized (blank) fields for upper and lower bounds.

Ray D.
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

Ray,
Thanks for pointing out the glitch. This is fixed in a minor update: http://www.dplot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43
This is when I noticed that these other function dialogs had a default value for the upper and lower bounds, whereas Y=f(X,Y1,Y2...) opens the dialog with uninitialized (blank) fields for upper and lower bounds.

This behavior was intentional - the Help topic describes what happens if those fields are left blank. But it was inconsistent with the other function dialogs and admittedly confusing, so the previous extents are now used to initialize the dialog. Blanking out these fields still results in the same automation mentioned in the Help file.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com