DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending data from Excel using DDE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Sending data from Excel using DDE Reply with quote

Hi

I am trying to send data by DDE link to Dplot Jr from Excel (2002 version) but when I try to initiate the link Excel complains that it 'can't execute DPLOT.EXE'.
Clicking OK brings up 'Remote data not available. Start application DPLOTE.EXE?
Clicking yes gives brings up a VBA runtime error that DPLOT.EXE cannot be run the program or one of its components is damaged or missing.

This occured when I tried to set up a quick test link ( I copied your example from the DPlot help file):

Channel = DDEInitiate("DPlot", "System")
DDEExecute Channel, "[XY(0,0)][XY(1,1)][XY(2,4)]"
DDETerminate Channel

and also tried to run your example.xls excel file but this produces the same problem. I have checked the registry entry and it seems to exist in the correct place. I have set-up a DDE link with matlab in previous Add-Ins I have created which, although it took much trial and error, worked OK so I do have a limited understanding of VBA. I have not used links to library files before and so I thought I would try the DDE link first to see how useful this could be to me before trying the dll link. I'm probably being silly and it is something obvious but I can't see it. Thanks in advance.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This:

Channel = DDEInitiate("DPlot", "System")

looks for an application that's already running that responds to the DDE server and topic names "DPlot" and "System". It will not launch dplot.exe (or dplotjr.exe); you need to do that yourself within your VBA routine. If you look again at the example VBA code you'll find a function StartDPlot. You need to call that function first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Excel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: