DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DPLOT doesn't plot data in .csv files with lots of columns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acogbill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: DPLOT doesn't plot data in .csv files with lots of columns Reply with quote

The docs for DPLOT indicate that it will plot data from .csv files with as many as 30 columns, and that this number can be increased by the user. However, I've been trying to plot data from a .csv file with 32 cols, without success. I increased the max cols to 50 without any change in behavior. If I reduce the number of cols to a small number (3 to 5 always seem to work), I don't have any problem. I haven't tried all combinations between 5 and 32. If some columns contain alphanumeric data (not merely numbers), does this confuse DPLOT, even when such columns are not to be plotted?

What happens when the number of columns is large is that either no data or, perhaps, a single data point of (0,0) is read.

Separately, originally the .csv file had a column for DATE and a column for TIME, each comma-delimited. DPLOT reads this as a single column of DATE TIME. Perhaps this is intentional.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlot will read up to 101 columns (X + 100 Y columns). My guess is the problem you're having is related to this:

Quote:
If some columns contain alphanumeric data (not merely numbers), does this confuse DPLOT, even when such columns are not to be plotted?

That should work unless some entries in those columns CAN be interpreted as numbers, while others cannot. In that case DPlot will continuously decide that the previous rows must have been a header, and start over. You are welcome to send me a CSV file you're having trouble with. I'll either fix things so that it will work, or tell you what the problem is.

Quote:
Separately, originally the .csv file had a column for DATE and a column for TIME, each comma-delimited. DPLOT reads this as a single column of DATE TIME. Perhaps this is intentional.

Yes, that is intentional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: