Error triangulating data when opening XYZ 3D data

Have a suggestion for improving DPlot or a question about existing features? Let us know
dcl9000

Post by dcl9000 »

Hi! I'm trying to open a large (~ 1GB) XYZ 3D data to generate a contour plot. This message "Error triangulating data" pops up in the middle and DPlot failed to plot anything afterwards.

Could you please give me a clue to plot my data? There's no issue at all when plotting relatively small XYZ data files. I'm running DPlot on 64-bit Windows7 and there's 4GB memory available. Thanks!
DPlotAdmin

Post by DPlotAdmin »

The "error triangulating data" is most likely due to insufficient memory (but is poorly explained).

Your 1Gb file likely contains in the neighborhood of 20 million points, and that will be too many.
Visualize Your Data
support@dplot.com
dcl9000

Post by dcl9000 »

David,

I thought DPlot can handle many millions of data points as long as the total memory needed won't exceed 2G.

---------------------------------------------------
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:49 am
Post subject:

You're welcome. But just so we're clear: the limitation here isn't so much DPlot as it is your available memory. If you had the memory for 138 million points (16 bytes/point) DPlot would work with it just fine. You can try forcing Windows to use a larger chunk of your hard disk for virtual memory and it will probably work, though it will be so slow that you'll most likely find it to be useless.

-------------------------------------------
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:47 pm
Post subject:

First... I misspoke earlier and I need to rewrite some of my documentation. DPlot will fail to allocate memory for an array that requires more than 2Gb. So in effect the limit is 1/8 what I said before: 2147483648/(8 bytes per X or Y) = 268,435,456 points total for all curves.