DPlot Forum Index DPlot
http://www.dplot.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Median / Mean XYZ Surface

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Median / Mean XYZ Surface Reply with quote

Hi,

I produce a lot of XYZ surfaces by exporting data from Excel using the plugin.

Instead of wrapping a surface over the top of the points, I'm trying to create separate surfaces passing through the mean and the median of the scatter points.

Is this possible?
Many thanks for your response,
Adrian Snell.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want those surfaces on the same plot: no, sorry. Currently you're limited to one surface per plot.
alpine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlotAdmin wrote:
If you want those surfaces on the same plot: no, sorry. Currently you're limited to one surface per plot.

No I'd just want one surface per plot. If there is a way to get a mean or a median surface without writing a macro please let me know! I have searched!!
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the mean it's no problem: select the Z=f(X,Y) command on the Generate menu and use Z=$MEAN for the equation. That will of course be a featureless surface, just a flat plane. If all you want to do is show the mean value in a title line or note, just use $MEAN and it will be replaced by that value.

There's no way to do the same with the median, though. That's a good addition for the next release.
alpine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlotAdmin wrote:
For the mean it's no problem: select the Z=f(X,Y) command on the Generate menu and use Z=$MEAN for the equation. That will of course be a featureless surface, just a flat plane. If all you want to do is show the mean value in a title line or note, just use $MEAN and it will be replaced by that value.

There's no way to do the same with the median, though. That's a good addition for the next release.

Thanks for the respose.

I have multiple data points at eaxh (X,Y) location. Instead of defining a surface at the max point at (x,y) (which DPlot currently does), I want to create a surface going through the mean of (x,y).

By the sounds of it this is not currently possible?

Many thanks.
DPlotAdmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Now I finally get it. No - not possible currently. I'll look into adding a switch to pick the mean, median, or (as is currently done) the max for duplicate X,Y values.
alpine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPlotAdmin wrote:
Ah! Now I finally get it. No - not possible currently. I'll look into adding a switch to pick the mean, median, or (as is currently done) the max for duplicate X,Y values.

Yes please! This will help me out no end!

Look forward to the update!

Many thanks,
Adrian.
alpine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking about this some more, I'm not sure if a simple mean(x,y) surface would work.

Our points by nature are scattered, getting datapoints at mostly unique locations eg (10.001, 5.345), (10.002, 5.342).

In a 2D XY scatter plot we would typically overlay a moving average onto the scatter of points. What I'm thinking would work is to define a moving average at each point by taking the mean of the nearest x number of datapoints. So possibly have 2 separate options:

1. Simple mean and median surface options of multiple (x,y) datapoints
2. "moving average" mean surface by additionally defining the number of nearest surrounding points in (x,y,z) or to average over. Or take the mean at (x,y) then average the means in a predefined area surrounding (x,y) to get more of a moving average.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DPlot Forum Index -> Suggestions/Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: